miércoles, 29 de septiembre de 2010

Turning a quarter of a century and saying goodbye!

When I first arrived in Trujillo I was a bit overwhelmed, and taking it all in was a big task! I remember thinking how long a month staying there seemed to be, and all the other volunteers telling me that is exactly how they felt when they first arrived, and how quickly that changed. Obviously they were right, and all the cliches about time apply to my stay in Trujillo. Before I knew what happened, and just as I was feeling very comfortable, the week of my birthday (and my last) arrived.

The week beforehand I had already been getting upset at the prospect of leaving, but it turns out my last week in Trujillo was definitely the best. On my birthday, I got sung happy birthday once in Spanish, and once in English. All the kids crowded round and were jumping up and down and generally were very excited - it was so funny, and I only wish I had a video of it! Then they each came up in turn to give me a hug. I also got a birthday letter from a couple of the girls (the ones who can actually write!) wishing me a happy birthday. One part, from Ana Lucia, said that even she had behaved really badly, she still was glad I had come! I left school that Thursday with a big smile on my face, and all the kids were excited, as the next day we were going to have a party for my birthday, and my last day.

I had promised the kids "English" party games, so the plan was: musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel. I went out and bought enough prizes so that everyone would get one, along with lollipops, chocolate cake and some weird sweets that I bought as they had the favourite, Ben 10, on them. I also printed out lots and lots and lots of photos of the kids. I tried to do it so that each child would have a few photos each, but as some are more camera shy than others it was a bit hard! And, once you start giving things out to the children they just want MORE...

So Friday arrived, and Brian and I headed to school feeling a little bit tired from my birthday celebrations the night before. We heard the kids before we saw them, screaming and yelling, and the next thing they came charging round the corner in a cloud of dust. The teacher had given them money to buy a couple of ballons, so I was greeted by a mass of screaming, dirty kids hitting me with pink ballons they had decorated - saying "feliz cumpleanos profesora elma". I don't know who was responsible for the Elma, as everyone seemed to call me Emma...

The games went down very well, my favourite was pin the tail on the donkey. Pictures will have to follow, as I have yet to find a computer that will let me put in a cd to upload them. Bringing presents for the kids probably brings out their worst sides though, as before you know it, they are begging for more and pushing and shoving eachother to get at stuff. They don't really understand the concept of buying things, and I think they believe there must be an endless supply of stuff that each teacher has! I think the best thing for these children was all the time I spent drawing with them, and also the map of the world that I bought for the classroom. But, it was good to spoil them too!

Most of the children were pretty relaxed about saying goodbye.Saying that, with a few of the children it was just so awful to say goodbye, and I had to try really hard not to start crying, as I was scared I wouldn't be able to stop. I am not sure that Brian would have been much help! One boy, Luigi, had only started the school since I had arrived. He is twelve years old, and as cheeky as they come. He reminds me so much of one of the boys I tutor in London, and he took it upon himself to defend me if anyone was rude! He has also got orange hair, from attempting to dye it to look like Justin Bieber. When I said it was my last day he didn't understand, and said "oh that's sad, when will you be back" and once I had explained that I wouldn't be, it was horrible. He must have hugged me about ten times, and kept coming back to say goodbye again! His partner in crime, Kevin, was also a tough one to say goodbye to, along with Kevin's sister Yanela. I had worked the hardest with the youngest children though, so saying goodbye to them nearly made me lose it!

But, of course, as you all have probably guessed by now, Saul was definitely the worse. I wish I could have a way of staying in touch with him. Even writing about the goodbye now makes me want to cry! I was worried he would just run off home and not even care that I was leaving, but at the end he came up and wrapped his arms around my neck and hugged me for ages! He also told me to "look after myself and travel safely" which is pretty grown-up advice for a five year old! I like to think that is some of the wisdom I have shared with him shining through...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario